Blow Out

10 Nov

Friday I headed out to the desert with 22 of my friends for a weekend of riding dirtbikes. This was our first trip out after a hot summer and since I love camping and riding dirtbikes it was bound to be awesome. We left HB about 1:30 and arrived in Ocotillo Wells right at dusk. We set up camp and had some dinner. Then some catching up at the campfire.

Saturday we woke up had some breakfast and some others in our party arrived so we headed out for a morning ride. We took and nice casual ride to the Artisan Well and back to camp. Had some lunch and headed out on the bikes again. Saturday night we had a Mexican pot luck with all the fixins. Later at the camp fire the wind picked up a little so I decided to move my tent to a more protected area. Now usually I sleep out in the open in the bed of my truck but this time since I caught a ride with someone else I decided to bring the tent and sleep in it. That time came and Abby and I crawled in the tent. The wind was blowing a little and Abby started whining so I let her go in the trailer with her family so I had to brave it myself. At about 2am I woke up to the wind really howling. I felt a little film of dirt on everything from it coming through the tent. I was really loud but I was warm so I didn’t think much of it. Then about 30 minutes later I woke up cause I was having a hard time breathing. I was literally covered in sand and the air in my tent was thick with it. Also my tent was blowing so bad that it wasn’t even a dome any longer, it was more like a flat top with the top on top of me! I covered my head and whole body with my blanket and left a little breathing hole. I lasted about 10 more minutes and I grabbed my stuff and headed for the trailer. We ended up staying up for a while cause the wind was blowing so hard. There were others in tents and they ended up leaving in the middle of the night.

The next morning it was still blowing. I have been in several sand storms but I have to say this was the worst I have seen. There was zero visibility and we had to have our heads completely covered and have goggles on in order to do anything outside. It was crazy. We tried to wait it out but decided to try and head out. Got home about 2pm.

Even though we only got to ride one day I still had a great time. I was going to take some pictures on Sunday to have for this post but then the sand storm came and I got nothin. Sorry.

Next week…..Going to Sedona!

One Response to “Blow Out”

  1. ewxlt66 November 10, 2008 at 2:42 pm #

    Hilarious. I need a picture of you peering out of your binkie trying to breathe. =)Now how come none of your pictures are able to be viewed full-size? I’m being ripped off!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: